What is the One Day Volunteering Programme?
Here at Soft Power Education we recognise that not everyone is in a position to stay in Uganda for an extended period of time and volunteer with us, so we established our very popular ‘One Day Volunteer’ Programme which does exactly what is says on the tin: an opportunity to volunteer with us for just one day.
Why do we run a One Day Volunteering Programme?
- One day volunteers are absolutely integral to Soft Power Education’s success. Soft Power Education began back in 1999 solely thanks to the generous donations of both money and time from One Day Volunteers. Individuals would stop in Jinja on their journey through Uganda, wanting to do a bit more than simply travel through, they would hear about the work of Soft Power Education and spend a day or two of their time assisting with the work we were doing here on the ground.
- Today the programme is not only historical but it remains highly successful: in 2013 alone, over 500 individuals spent one day with us and donated over $10,000! In addition many of the people who spend one day with us end up returning for an extended duration of several weeks or months with us at a later date – it’s always lovely to see returning faces!
What’s the itinerary for the day?
- We will arrange for our Volunteer Coordinator, Aggrey, to meet you in the morning at one of the campsites, located in Bujagali, at 9am. Here he will give a brief chat about Soft Power Education – who we are, what we do, as well as checking you have everything you need for your day with us. From here you will tour some of our projects located in Bujagali.
- You’ll first visit Kyabirwa Children’s Centre (KCC). KCC is the base for one of our pre-schools, as well as our Special Educational Needs out-reach clinic. From here you will walk through the village up to the Amagezi Education Centre (AEC), Soft Power Education’s headquarters in Bujagali Falls, just outside Jinja town. For 10 years, the AEC was the home of our highly successful P6 Pupils’ Project which welcomed children from partner primary schools to come and experience hands on, interactive learning. From February 2018 the AEC is now home to the LEAP team who facilitate our brand new alternative education programme, the Learning & Education for All Programme. From the AEC, you’ll be transported out to the partner school we are currently working on.
- As a One Day Volunteer, you will be assisting with our on-going School Infrastructure (SIP) programme. You will spend the day helping to paint the classroom blocks we have recently renovated; working to create a safe, creative and inspiring learning environment for the children and teachers. One of our SIP programme targets is to renovate and refurbish all of the government primary schools in the Jinja district – to date we have worked at more than 50 schools!
- The hosting school will provide lunch to thank you for your contribution to their school and you’ll do a little more work in the afternoon before heading back to your transport for the drive back to Bujagali.
- We hope that the day you spend with us will not only help us to achieve the goals for Soft Power Education but allow you the opportunity to see a side of Uganda that you may not otherwise experience. Working within a local community is a unique opportunity to get under the surface of this beautiful country, and will hopefully see you returning again in the future or staying on with us as a Long Term Volunteer.
What do you need to bring?
- A delicious local lunch is provided at the school, so all you need is drinking water, sun cream, a hat, camera and a small bit of money should you want to buy a soda or anything at the local trading centre.
- We kindly request One Day Volunteers to make a donation of around $25. This donation not only helps us to cover the costs of the day such as materials and transport, but it also helps us to maintain the sustainability of our other programmes too, ensuring the Soft Power Education can continue to run long after our volunteers have returned home.
- We also have Soft Power Education t-shirts for sale as an extra souvenir of the time spent with us.